Sunday 24 February 2019

SAFARI LEATHER CREATIONS

EXOTIC LEATHER POUCHES

I was asked if I could make a ten round belt slide in 308 Win and a matching folding knife pouch, and could I make them from some elephant leather that my customer had from a previous safari.  Ordinarily this would not have been a problem, but the elephant leather that my customer had was very thin and very soft, almost like chammy leather.

I took on the project, but made no promises as to weather I could use the elephant leather.  I knew I would have to glue the elephant leather to some cows leather to give it some rigidity, so this is where I started.  Over a period of time I found the best way to utilise the elephant leather and after formulating a design and making tooling for both the knife pouch and the slide, this is what I came up with.
308 Win ammo belt slide



I think you will agree that the finished products look pretty good, I have also made a belt to go with the pouches, but this had to be made from cows leather as the elephant leather had a tendency to delaminate on the edges, even if glued and stitched.

No comments:

Post a Comment